Happy Father’s Day! For my Baby Daddy I’m making his favourite dinner – Roast Chicken. An easy classic Sunday dinner with extras – leftover meat, bones and skin for stock.
Large whole chicken
2 small onions/ 1 big onion
1 tsp of thyme
3/4 garlic cloves chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
Bunch of chopped fresh parsley
1 cup of water
• Place chicken in a roasting tin, ideally one with a lid. Preheat oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
• Quarter onion(s) and stuff into cavity.
• Stab chicken meaty bits (breasts, legs) with a sharp knife.
• Combine other oil and herbs in a bowl and mix. Drizzle mixture over chicken.
• Add cup of water to bottom of the pan. This along with the onion keeps the meat juicy. It also stops the chicken and juices from sticking to bottom of pan and creates lovely stock for gravy or the soup pot.
• Place lid of pan and roast in oven for about 2 to 2.5 hours. Remove lid for last 20 mins to crispin skin, I didn’t have to on this occasion.
• Ensure juices are clear before removing from oven and carving.
Serve with your favourite Sunday sides. Once you’ve mastered thus recipe you can mix up the marinade to make lots of different Roast Chicken options.